St. John with its beautiful beaches and warm, pristine water is the perfect place to learn to paddleboard. With a SUP you can get to those unspoiled, uncrowded places that cannot be reached by foot or car. In a 1-2 hour lesson we will teach you the basics and you will be safe to paddle yourself, even if it gets windy.
Paddleboarding is really easy, anyone from young kids to 70 year old seniors can do. Only condition: You should be able to swim. But don’t worry, we provide you with Life Vests and Leashes, so the board is attached to your foot and you won’t have to swim too far to get back to the board. Check out this photogallery of all the people who learned to paddleboard with us!
Options for Paddleboard Lessons
- Beginners Lesson: you will learn how to safely paddle and turn in about 2 hours (First introduction & stroke technique practice on land, then supervised paddling and afterwards some time to play around and paddle by yourself)
- Paddlefit Training: improve your technique and fitness
- SUP Yoga: Learn to paddle and do some Yoga Moves on your SUP. Try it, you will feel so relaxed afterwards and the Yoga Moves gradually built up to the standing position, this is good for people who want to take it slow and work on their balance before paddling. This session also works for people who paddled before, then the focus will be on reviewing technique and introducing some easy Yoga Moves
- Individual coaching incl. video analysis – work on your stroke technique. Lucy has attended workshops with the world’s best paddlers and surely give you some valuable tips.
How we teach Paddleboarding on St. John
The method we use for teaching is the technique we learned from Annabel Anderson, the world’s fastest female paddler. She has won almost every single race she entered and paddled from Ibiza to the Spanish mainland and the NZ South to North Island.
It is a technique that will make sure you are safe, even if wind is crazy and you will not get any problems/pain in your back, spine or neck.
Please note that it is not possible to give Paddleboard Lessons inside the National Park. We have however identified some beaches outside the National Park that are good for beginners (photo above is the beach where we normally give lessons). What most people do is take a morning lesson with us and then rent the board(s) for the day or week afterwards and take them to the National Park Beaches.
Do you have young children, are not so good of a swimmer or just prefer to learn how to paddle in the privacy of your own home? If your villa has a pool, we can come over and teach you and your family there. You can also do SUP Yoga in your villa pool. Find more about Pool SUP Lessons here.
Prices for Paddleboard Lessons on St. John
2 hour private lesson including board and carbon paddle rental:
- 2 or more 65 US$ (per person), 75 US$ (one person)
half hour lesson and half hour paddling by yourself:
- 50 US$ (per person)
Scheduling your Paddleboard Lesson:
Contact Us via info(at)sup-stjohn.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (Email). +1 (340) 514 – 5527 (call/text – voicemail does not really work) +1 (340) 626 – 2859 (call/text) or to schedule your lesson. Phone reception is not always good on the island and we are often on the water, so email is usually the best way to reach us. We will get back to you within 24hours, usually faster. Sometimes your enquiry or our response lands in the spam folder eps. if sent through contact form (you can add our emails to your address book that will help). If you don’t hear back, please shoot us a text on 340-514-5527
Book your Paddleboard Lesson here (no credit card required):
Paddleboard Lesson Photogallery